By now you might have noticed we are fans of zucchini around here so it’s by no surprise that we love it as dessert too!
Over the weekend I noticed some zucchinis I neglected to use during the week so they were starting to get a little too ripe for zoodles. What else can I do with these I thought!? A simple search on Yummly lead me to a zucchini muffins. I gave my mom a quick phone call since I don’t bake that often and she is a great baker to help me doctor together a few recipes together to create our own version.
These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins are guilt free with substitutes like Greek yogurt, dark chocolate and non-white flour.
- 1 & 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 & 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 & 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely-grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (~4 oz)
- 3 tbsp mashed banana (~1 large banana)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Dark chocolate chips to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease 12 cups of a muffin tin
- In a large bowl, blend together the oat flour (which you can food process from rolled oats until fine, make sure to measure after blending), baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together vanilla extract, grated zucchini (squeeze dry in cloth first), Greek yogurt, mashed banana, egg, coconut oil and brown sugar.
- Add dark chocolate chips to taste (optional). I like dark chocolate so I used 3/4 of a 12 oz bag 🙂
- Fill muffin cups evenly and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 2 minutes before removing from tin.
Recipe makes 12
- I’ve tried this recipe with both Banana and applesauce and prefer banana.
- If you don’t have coconut oil, equal amount of vegetable oil will work fine.
I hope you enjoy and would love to hear from any one who has experimented with other veggie-as-dessert recipes!